Buying online is safe if you reduce the risk of becoming victim of identity theft or fraud.
How to protect yourself?
- Buy only from reputable sellers.
- Pay attention to security when entering credit card or other payment information.
- Never give your payment details to anyone without being checked if it is real or not.
- After the transaction, check your credit card statement.
- Ask periodically for a copy of your credit report.
- You should retain your monthly statements for at least one year, if not more.
- Protect your computer with good and up to date security, anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
Contact your financial institution or credit card company if someone has managed to get access to your mail or personal data or opened any credit cards in your name or taken any funds from your bank account. Report those transactions immediately and request further action.
Scammers and con-men are constantly finding new ways to trick the unwary. One of the fundamental rules for identifying scams is that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn’t.